GCSE Mathematics Course
Exam board: WJEC
Exam code: 3300PH
Our WJEC GCSE Mathematics course will build on and progress from the levels of mathematics expected at the end of Year 9 through the National Curriculum Programme of Study for Mathematics.
Whilst GCSE in Mathematics – Numeracy will assess the mathematics that learners will need in their everyday lives, in the world of work, and in other general curriculum areas.
GCSE Mathematics will extend to aspects of mathematics needed for progression to scientific, technical or further mathematical study.
The aims and objectives of this qualification is to enable pupils to:
- Develop their knowledge and understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques
- Acquire a foundation of mathematical skills for further study in the subject or related areas
- Enjoy using and applying mathematical techniques and concepts, and become confident to use mathematics to solve problems
- Appreciate the importance of mathematics in society, employment and study
- The Maths GCSE course comprises 13 modules.
- The following modules need to be studied by all students.
- Module 1 – Numbers
- Module 2 – Money
- Module 3 – Measurement
- Module 4 – Basic Algebra
- Module 5 – Basic Trigonometry and Vectors
- Module 6 – Basic Geometry
- Module 7 – Further Geometry
- Module 8 – Probability and Statistics
The following modules are only studied by those aiming for the Intermediate/Higher tiers.
- Module 9 – Further Numbers and Equations
- Module 10 – Higher Algebra Topics
- Module 11 – Further Geometry and Trigonometry
- Module 12 – Further Probability and Statistics
- Module 13 – The examination
The advantage of studying with us is that you sit exams with us too.
The Maths GCSE syllabus has three tiers, Foundation, Intermediate and Higher. The Foundation level allows students to achieve grades between D and G, the Intermediate tier allows students to achieve grades between B and E and the Higher tier allows students to achieve grades A* and C.
This is a linear qualification in which all assessments must be taken at the end of the course. Assessment opportunities will be available in the summer and November series each year, until the end of the life of this specification.
- WJEC GCSE Mathematics (Foundation Tier) – 3300PF
- WJEC GCSE Mathematics (Intermediate Tier) – 3300PN
- WJEC GCSE Mathematics (Higher Tier) – 3300PH
Irrespective of which tier you enter for, you will sit two exams
Paper 1 is a non-calculator paper and Papers 2 allows the use of a calculator.
Exam Access Arrangements
Exam access arrangements allow candidates/learners with special educational needs, disabilities or temporary injuries to access the assessment without changing the demands of the assessment. For example, readers, scribes and Braille question papers. In this way, Awarding Bodies will comply with the duty of the Equality Act 2010 to make ‘reasonable adjustments’.
We can arrange access arrangements and assess you with our special assessor. The deadline for application to the exam board is the February of the year the learner sits exams.
To find out more about exam access arrangements click here
You can choose from the following study options:
- Online classes
- Blended learning (in-person and online)
SWANSEA COLLEGE GCSE COURSES
Have a question? Ask our virtual assistant on live chat below
or call us on 01792 535000 and speak to our experienced Student Adviser.