GCSE Chemistry Course
Exam board: AQA
Exam code: 8462
Studying GCSE Chemistry provides the foundations for understanding the material world. Scientific understanding is changing our lives and is vital to the world’s future prosperity, and all learners should be taught essential aspects of the knowledge, methods, processes and uses of science.
They should be helped to appreciate how the complex and diverse phenomena of the natural world can be described in terms of a small number of key ideas relating to the sciences which are both inter-linked, and are of universal application.
These key ideas include:
- the use of conceptual models and theories to make sense of the observed diversity of natural phenomena
- the assumption that every effect has one or more cause
- that change is driven by differences between different objects and systems when they interact
- that many such interactions occur over a distance without direct contact
- that science progresses through a cycle of hypothesis, practical experimentation, observation, theory development and review
- that quantitative analysis is a central element both of many theories and of scientific methods of inquiry
This qualification is linear. Linear means that students will sit all their exams at the end of the course.
- 1. Atomic structure and the periodic table
- 2. Bonding, structure, and the properties of matter
- 3. Quantitative chemistry
- 4. Chemical changes
- 5. Energy changes
- 6. The rate and extent of chemical change
- 7. Organic chemistry
- 8. Chemical analysis
- 9. Chemistry of the atmosphere
- 10. Using resources
In addition, there are 10 practical assessments required to complete this GCSE.
Access Arrangements allow candidates/learners with special educational needs, disabilities or temporary injuries to access the assessment without changing the demands of the assessment.
For example, readers, scribes and Braille question papers. In this way, Awarding Bodies will comply with the duty of the Equality Act 2010 to make ‘reasonable adjustments’.
We can arrange access arrangements and assess you with our special assessor. The deadline for application to the exam board is the February of the year the learner sits exams.
To find out more about exam access arrangements click here
You can choose from the following study options:
We offer a range of study options, we are flexible, offer tutor support, and interest-free payment plans make it easy to shape learning around your life.
We are registered with Estyn, our aims to give each student a complete education in which they achieve their academic potential and grow as an individual. As well as studying with us, you can sit your exams with us too.
The regular GCSE courses commence in September and an intake in January, these courses are designed to be taught in a classroom environment / online and follow a structured curriculum with a fixed schedule of classes, assessments and exams.
Distance Learning online courses can be started at any time throughout the year, and students can work at their own pace and in their own time.
You’ll sit the same GCSE exams at the same time as all the other students in the UK, and you’ll receive the same results, transcript and qualification. Your GCSE course will be accepted by colleges, universities and employers worldwide.
You can study GCSE courses through a range of study options; our blended learning which consists of online live classes and in person teaching in class, Online live classes only or Distant learning course.
IGCSE qualifications are ideal for those wanting to study for national qualifications by distance learning. Without all the administrative problems that encumber GCSE course work.
We offer a range of IGCSE Courses; see our Distance learning course page.
Choosing a tier isn’t always easy, particularly for languages, we can help you make a decision. Nobody is a better judge of a student’s ability than their teacher. Regular assessments and mock exams are a key part of our decision making.
If you are studying a distance learning course, we can assess you through the year through a range of assessments.
- We offer subject support tutorials every month
- 1:1 support from your subject tutor, online or by email
- 24/7 access to the your online learning platform
- Interactive online learning broken down into easy-to-follow units
- Practice tests and mock exams marked by your tutor
- Friendly student services team, so you’re never more than a message or phone call away from a helping hand
Of course, you can study this course part time, making sure you have said in your enrolment.
GCSE’s are usually a two year course, studying this in one year – would be an intensive course.
You may be able to complete this in one year as an intensive course, you need to show a strong understanding of the subject.
We offer GCSEs – part time in the evenings to adult learners.
We offer interest-free payment plans, you can pay monthly, termly or annually.
Choose the subject you would like to study, add to courses, complete our application form and you can choose to pay online.
If you’d like to set up an interest-free payment plan, get in touch with our Student Advisors on 01792 535 000.
If you have any disabilities which you think might affect your studies or assessments, please let us know before you enrol so we can advise you on whether reasonable adjustments can be made to accommodate your needs.